Claire M. Palmer
110 Reed St. #2 Cambridge, MA 02140
(617) 576-1002 (home)
(617) 367-2094 (cell)
|| Seeking a
GIS Technician or GIS Programmer position.
MPS - Geographic Information Technology
(Expected 1/2010), Northeastern University, Boston, MA (GPA 3.7)
- Completed coursework: Intro
to GIS with ArcGIS 9.2 (lecture & lab), Advanced Spatial
Analysis, Remote Sensing, Spatial Databases, Arc Objects,
Project Management, Internet GIS, Developing Your Leadership
Capability, Oracle Database Administration, GIS Cartography.
- Portfolio of class projects available online at: www.oneleafgis.com/pages/neugis.php
Certificate MIS - Web Technology, Courses in Database Design & Administration (2002)
Northeastern University, Boston, MA (GPA 4.0)
Dean’s List for Academic Year 2001-2002
B.A. - Philosophy(1997)
University of California at Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA
Visiting Scholar (1995)
University of Bologna, Italy
GIS Technician (2009 - present)
MassGIS, Boston, MA
Principal technician in charge of data layer maintenance of the Navteq/911 project at MassGIS.
Provides QA for GIS data developed both internally and by outside organizations.
Creates new and edits existing data through MS Access, Excel and the Oracle SQL+ shell.
Uses Pictometry to identify new roads.
Uses customized ArcObjects tools to conflate road address ranges onto state transportation linework.
|GIS internship &
Volunteer GIS Technician
Town of Concord, MA
Edited ArcSDE parcel annotations, uploaded deed and registry documents to the town’s web GIS
Cartographic Technician (2008)
Cape Cod National Seashore – North Atlantic Coastal Laboratory, Truro, MA
Provided assistance to the GIS Specialist. Created ArcInfo map documents, map books,
and an interpretive map for the public. Collected GPS data with Garmin and Trimble GPS devices;
used DNRGarmin and Pathfinder Office to process the data. Created Access databases
to inventory GIS and aerial files on the server. Scanned and georectified aerial imagery.
Converted CAD line work to ESRI shapefiles. Used Adobe InDesign page layout software to
develop resource briefs for the scientists. Installed ArcMap software at various offices within the park.
Managed routine backups of the server data.
|technical skills & gis-related work
- GIS Applications: ESRI: ArcInfo 9.2/9.3 (desktop & enterprise), ArcMap extensions
(Network Analyst, Spatial Analyst, Mapbook, ModelBuilder, 3D Analyst), ArcCatalog, ArcObjects
- Open Source GIS: OpenLayers API, GoogleMaps API, OpenStreetMaps,
Geoserver, MapServer, FWTools, AlaskaPak, Corpscon
- GIS Data Collection: Trimble handheld and RTK, Garmin, Pathfinder Office, DNR Garmin
- Database Applications: MS Access, SQL, MySQL/PHP MyAdmin, Oracle/SQLPlus
- Software: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Acrobat, Macromedia Dreamweaver & Fireworks,
MS Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Publisher, MS Project, Visual Basic, VBA, XAMPP Apache distribution, ENVI Image Processing & Analysis
- Published TeacherPat website (www.teacherpat.com)
that provides an on-line resource for adult basic education classroom
- Completed all-day course “Mapping Massachusetts Communities: An Introduction to GIS
& Community Analysis” conducted by New Urban Research, Inc., Boston, MA, 2006
- Attended NEARC Conferences in Burlington, VT (2007) & Hyannis, MA (2008);
AAG Annual Conference in Boston, MA (2008)
Bike To The Sea, Malden, Massachusetts (2008-present)
- Created a map of the Everett-Malden project segment that was submitted to MassHighway
as a part of a grant application.
- Organized Helmet Giveaway event in conjunction with the City of Everett.